Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Works4Me: Tips for Teachers by Teachers


Make-Up File
From Barb DeWeese (ponderosabarb@gmail.com), a math teacher at Payson High School in Payson, Arizona:

"I make about five extra copies of every worksheet or test and keep them in one large file folder (per subject) each semester. Whether a student has been absent for two days or a week, or a new student shows up mid-way through a chapter, it's easy to locate all the worksheets. They're arranged chronologically in the one file. If I have a key, I put it in the file too, so that students legitimately turning in the assignment long after the due date may still check the work. I keep the file in a small portable file box at the front of the classroom, easily accessible when a student says, ‘I was absent Monday, may I have a worksheet?’ or ‘My backpack was stolen, I need another worksheet.’ I don't give students access to the file, but a teacher could put a student in charge of makeup work."

Comment on This Tip
More Absence Tips

Love and Logic
From Marci Bartu (bartuma@d25.k12.id.us), a teacher in Idaho:

"A discipline program called Teaching With Love and Logic has many great techniques to deal with most discipline problems. It is a program that grew out of Parenting With Love and Logic founded by a school principal and a psychologist in Golden, Colorado. I have been using it for the past 8 years, and it seems there is always an answer to the problems kids throw at me!
Comment on This Tip
More Behavior Management Tips


Club and Pep Rally Time
From Laura Granger (phidex77@hotmail.com), an English teacher at Audubon High School in Iowa:

"My high school has an extra fifteen minutes added to the last period of the day so students can attend club/organization meetings, sports meetings, drama, etc. Students read for the fifteen minutes on days they don’t have a meeting to attend. Those fifteen minutes are also used for pep rallies so we don’t have to change our class schedules nor lose instruction time."
Comment on This Tip
More Group Organization Tips


Question of the Week: Boring Texts
From the Works4Me Worker Bees:


"Some classroom textbooks are bland, boring and behind the times. How do you update the text you are given and add some ‘oomph’ to the mundane?"
Send Us Your Answer
View Replies & Post Your Tip